Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Personal Creative Practice

In my art class, we’ve been talking mostly about the why of art education – instrumentalist theories which describe how art education assists students with other academic subjects such as math and english, and essentialist theories that explain why art is important for its own sake. Mixed in with our discussion of art education theories, our professor has also slipped in his own words of wisdom as a teacher.

One such piece of advice that particularly stuck out to me was to maintain our personal creative practice. It seems obvious, but I can see it being very easy for me to get so busy planning lessons and organizing student art shows that I run out of time to actually make art myself.

In light of that, the picture of the two sisters I was painting this summer is finally dry!


It was a really fun piece to paint – they are both such beautiful women. I hope this painting can capture some of their radiant personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment