Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wanna Draw?

My first placement is in Physics, but I was chatting with the art teacher who I'll be working with next semester while the school was doing a colour house competition. Of course it was the usual affair - around one quarter of the school actively engaged in the activity, one half passively and obediently watching and one quarter heading back inside for free time at their lockers and in the cafeteria. 

The art teacher noticed this and found me some pads of newsprint, conte, and oil pastels, and suggested I encourage the students who weren't participating to draw. I didn't really expect anyone to want to draw - when I was a student, I was terrified of those other kids who seemed disinterested in school. I'd never dream of inviting them to draw with me - they'd tell me to F-off or something, wouldn't they? But I tried it. And I am so disappointed in myself for underestimating those students. They didn't even think twice. "Sure, I'll draw something" "I don't know what I'd draw, but why not - I can try." Soon there was two tables full of students drawing in the cafeteria! They kept drawing right into lunch, and drew some really great stuff. Many thanks to the art teacher for encouraging me to just ask people to draw with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment